karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shu...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Introduction
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2016 06:52:08 GMT

> On 23 mars 2016, at 21:29, Achim Nierbeck <bcanhome@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> *Interest #3:* Support filesystem watching (or editor watching for
>> integrated editors) and hot-swap the bundle being developed into the
>> running environment either on-demand or automatically whenever there are no
>> syntax errors.  In conjunction with #2, this could make software
>> development more agile.
>>

> Sounds like you want to build bundles on the fly, one point to start would
> be to have the Pax-Swissbox bundle at hand, to create "Tiny-Bundles". If
> it's more like a static monitoring of a filesystem, we already got that
> with felix-fileinstaller.

Actually I’ve used another trick to do very dynamic file updating. If these are web resources
served by an HttpService, I’ve created a custom HttpContext that will look for a bundle
header that points to the source code. If it exists I do file lookups in the source directly
first, and then in the bundle. This way even without deploying a bundle you can load file
updates !

Of course this only works for resources, not for Java code.

cheers,
  Serge…