karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [karaf boot] Added a DS sample with Servlet and JPA and slightly different setup
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 00:03:13 GMT
Hi,

once more, I still think and I think I convinced JB on this point, Parent
POMs are a bad way to start with just to create your own application, this
is where BOMs (Bill Of Material) plays in much more nicely. Especially if
you want to combine different aspects. Like DS plus Web for example, now
you would need two Parents, which isn't possible.

Now regarding Provisioning and features. I wouldn't go with features, cause
the tend to be
bloated in comparison to the small footprint we want to have with
karaf-boot.

That's why I proposed long time ago to use profiles.
My first steps no that can be found at the project in JBs GitHub account.
It's the profiles branch. [1]
In this we'll have the profiles attached to the BOMs and therefore it could
be extracted through a specialized Mojo (already worked on that) to merge
all those profiles into one to create a custom Karaf on the fly.

regards, Achim

[1] - https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-boot/tree/profiles

--

Apache Member