karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [karaf boot] Added a DS sample with Servlet and JPA and slightly different setup
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 10:20:08 GMT
For me the main purpose of karaf boot in unchanged form is to allow
people to easily create small proof of concepts.
In this stage it normally is no issue that you do not use the company
parent pom. You can start easily with karaf boot and bring your poc to a
level where management decides to use karaf.

Then at some point you need to transition to a regular project. So you
can copy the karaf boot parent, edit it to include your company parent
and other changes you might need and use it for your project(s).
This transition phase will also happen when you use the blackbox
karaf-boot plugin but then it will be a lot harder to adapt it to your
needs.

Another thing we need to look at is the transition from a single module
project to a multi module project. I think it is really great to let
people start with a single module/project but to leverage OSGi people
will want to build multi module projects at some point. This will either
happen during the transition from poc to a regular project or even
earlier. So I think we also need to make sure that multi module projects
can be built easily. For this case I think
it is natural that the set of modules that form you application will
have their own parent pom (that of course might depend on a company parent).

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de