karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [karaf boot] Added a DS sample with Servlet and JPA and slightly different setup
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 08:11:10 GMT
Hi Achim,

the BOM approach was also my first choice. Unfortunately I think it is
not suitable.
A BOM allows to define the versions for maven dependencies. It does not
add any of the dependencies to the project.
So with a BOM you could leave out the versions but would have to specify
all the dependencies in the user bundle.
What I used there instead was simply a pom with the dependencies. Using
the transitive nature of dependencies this adds
all dependencies of the pom to the user project. I think this is what we
want to achieve.

Unfortunately the pom approach also has one weakness. For the
blueprint-maven-plugin I need to add some APIs (javax.inject and pax-cdi
api)
as optional.  This does not seem to work if they are extracted into a
pom. All optional dependencies seem to be not included
in the user project. So if anyone knows how to solve this it would be
highly appreciated.
Another way would be to configure the maven-bundle-plugin to not create
Import-Package statements for these APIs. Not sure how to do this though
in a generic way.

BOM and pom unfortunately both do not provide any way to add plugins to
the user code.
This is what I use the parent for. You are right that it does not
provide much flexibility but I think it is better than
a monolithic karaf boot plugin that calls all other necessary plugins.
One reason is that a parent is more transparent.
So the user can look into the parent and easily understand what it does.
A parent is also a nice template
for the more advanced user to create his own parent.

I am still not familiar with profiles. I will check out and try your
code to understand how it works.

I agree with you that we want to achieve a light weight deployment for
karaf boot. What I had in mind
is to add an option to the karaf-maven-plugin to create a distribution
with static deployment.
So you specify the features as you do now but the plugin then would not
add the features as boot features
but instead do all resolution at build time and deploy all bundles using
startup.properties. This should even
allow to start without the feature service or without the shell if
people want that.

So in general I think our goals are nicely aligned. We now just have to
find and agree on a good way to reach them.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de