karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shu...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:02:08 GMT
I’m sorry I didn’t express my ideas clearly about Spring, what I meant to say was provide
some quick getting started resources so that if someone wants to use Spring-Data, Spring Social,
Spring-XD and so forth they don’t have to do all the integrating themselves.

So maybe it could be really cool to start some kind of archetype repository that the community
could easily contribute to so that you could then simple create a project with the appropriate
Spring artifacts already embedded. And of course this could be done for anything. This would
probably greatly ease OSGi’s main pain point of getting the Import-Package statement right.

I believe I even so a project related to this at Eclipse, but I can’t remember it right
now.

cheers,
  Serge…

> On 12 nov. 2015, at 10:43, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Serge,
>
> thanks for the update !
>
> Honestly, I'm not sure at all about Spring, as they don't support OSGI anymore, so not
easy.

> For Jigsaw, good idea ;)
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 11/12/2015 10:32 AM, Serge Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> On 12 nov. 2015, at 07:54, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I already discussed with some of you about my plan on Karaf marketing.
>>>
>>> I think clearly that we had a great project, a great team, a great tool, but
we're not really good in term of promotion and marketing.

>> Yes Karaf is clearly one of the hidden gems of the ASF, and if marketing it properly
can make it more visible and people understand it’s value better, everybody wins.

>>> Especially, we have to be clear in the message and the projects that we deliver.
For instance, again, I'm sure that karaf-boot is a huge step forward in Karaf adoption. I'm
not sure that all users are aware and know the purpose of Cellar, Cave, Decanter, and even
some Karaf areas.

>> Yes, and at the same time positioning Karaf as compatible with lots of technologies
would help. For example tell everyone that they can realize their projects in Karaf that use
Spring technologies would be helpful, not making them have to choose between Karaf or Spring,
but rather just use Karaf as the runtime and build on top of it using Spring librairies. Of
course this requires that we provide features for all of these.

>>> In order to improve the Karaf marketing area, I would like to propose the following
plan:

>>> 1. More professional website
>>> I think we have to improve both the content and the look'n feel of the website.
>>> In term of content, I think it makes sense to not emphasize on OSGi. The fact
that Karaf runs OSGi is not really interesting for most of end users (of course, it is for
advanced/power users). We have to explain that Karaf is modern and multi-purpose container.
More over, with karaf-boot, it becomes also a bootstrapper and "run anywhere" paradigm platform.
>>> So, I started a new website, changing the look'n feel (to give a more professional
shape) and the content (changing the marketing message):

>>> 	http://maven.nanthrax.net/goodies/karaf/site/
>>
>> Looks really good, there are a few images that have resizing issues but that’s
a detail. One message I also repeat often about Karaf is that it’s the basic runtime you
would end up with if you started a project from scratch, so why not use that as a start instead
of re-implementing it.

>> Also, at JavaOne Oracle was talking about Jigsaw a lot, so maybe we can capitalize
on this by saying that this is a module system that is proven and future-ready. I like the
enterprise positioning, clearly in opposition of not-yet-ready-for-production platforms such
as docker or in some regards Spring-boot :)

>>> I will complete the website today (some cleanup, other pages than the home one,
etc), but it already gives you an idea.

>>> 2. New guides/documentation
>>> I'm working on the improvement in term of content of the documentation. Especially,
the dev guide will be more straight forward, providing recipes for users.
>>> All guides will use asciidoc now. You can already see the kind of output on the
Decanter guide:

>>> 	http://karaf.apache.org/manual/decanter/latest-1/index.html
>>>
>>> All Karaf guides (and subprojects) will be rendered in a popup using such look'n
feel.

>> Looks good but it would be fantastic if it was also responsive so that it can be
used on tablets and or phablets :)

>>> 3. Meetups
>>> I plan to organize a Karaf Meetup beginning of 2016. I have some sponsors in
mind. The purpose is to meet most of Karaf users, devs, and enthusiasts.