karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:50:45 GMT

> 2. I think it's already do-able for non committers: they can propose
> PullRequests or patches. The drawback is maybe the documentation: how
> to contribute and it should be on the website.
Documentation is nice but it must be a lot easier than: Fork repo, clone
to your system, edit, add, commit, push, pull request. Those are just
too many steps.

I recently found that you can edit a foreign file directly in github.
For example open this url:
https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/manual/src/main/asciidoc/users-guide/jdbc.adoc
Then use the edit button. It will implicitly create a fork and a branch
on your account. When you then save it offers to directly commit and
create a pull request. That is almost as convenient as confluence.

We could just add an edit link from each page on the web to the
respective file at github.

Of course we would also need some documentation to tell people how the
workflow is and for example that they must publish their edits with
apache license or similar. The main thing though is to make the edit
flow as easy as possible.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider