karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shu...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf docker.io
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:34:00 GMT
I love it ! Is it production ready ?… uh wait docker is not :)

More seriously, between this and karaf-boot I think that the story in terms of starting to
deploying a project can really be improved greatly. We could then even push the docker images
to a docker repository.

That way you can launch Docker Unomi instances in a large cluster with just a few CLI instructions
:)

cheers,
  Serge…

> On 15 oct. 2015, at 14:09, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> let me "relaunch" this very old thread ;)
>
> Even if most of us already use docker to run Karaf, I think that karaf-docker could be
a key and very interesting combination with karaf-boot.

> Imagine the following scenario:
> - you construct your application thanks to karaf-boot (and the different starters, karaf-boot-maven-plugin,
etc)
> - using your codebase, and the different starters that you use, the karaf-boot-maven-plugin
creates a Karaf custom distribution for you
> - now, you can directly start your Karaf custom distribution on your machines, your cloud,
or docker: it's where karaf-docker can help.
> In addition of the Karaf custom distribution, karaf-docker (and so the karaf-docker-plugin
that could be part of karaf-boot) can provide a ready to run docker image with your custom
Karaf distribution: you don't have to prepare anything, the dockerfile, or whatever, it will
be done for you.

> Of course, we keep the current features part of karaf-docker (the fact to manage docker
images directly in Karaf). I would like to add a new set of features in karaf-docker: be able
to create "business oriented" Karaf (based on the first point). For instance, you want a Karaf
WebContainer, Karaf Hibernate, just use docker:create command to create a custom Karaf distribution
in a docker image, this distribution will have "pre-installed/bootFeatures" as you described
in the shell command.

> Basically, karaf-boot and karaf-docker are in the same boat to provide more user experience,
flexible systems (profiles oriented) and killer services platform.