karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf Boot
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:40:51 GMT
I am not really enthusiastic about duplicating functionality of cxf or
aries. Aries supports a very nice approach for injections, jpa and jta.
Why should it make sense to recreate that?
Aries blueprint also has annoation support even in two flavors (CDI,
custom). How does the new approach interact with this?

Instead I propose we create support for such annotations in the
respective projects (where they are missing) and concentrate on karaf as
a container not an application development framework.
By leveraging the existing frameworks we profit from their own
development teams. Whatever we recreate will have to be developed by the
very few resources of the karaf team.

Christian

Am 10.09.2015 um 16:53 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Onofré:
> [...]
>>> @rest annotation that will generate blueprint XML with cxf jaxrs
>>> server,
>>> etc).
>>> * karaf-boot-starter is the module providing a convenient way to embed,
>>> configure and bootstrap Karaf.
>>>
>>> Just to illustrate this, let's take a look on the
>>> karaf-boot-sample-simple.
>>>
>>> The pom.xml is really simple:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>> <project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
>>> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
>>> http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
>>> http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
>>>
>>>      <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>>>
>>>      <parent>
>>>          <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>karaf-boot-parent</artifactId>
>>>          <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>      </parent>
>>>
>>> <artifactId>karaf-boot-sample-simple</artifactId>
>>>      <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>
>>> </project>
>>>
>>> You can see, the only thing that the developer has to do: define
>>> karaf-boot-parent as parent pom. That's all.
>>>
>>> Now, in the code, you have just one bean that we want to run:
>>>
>>> package org.apache.karaf.boot.sample.simple;
>>>
>>> import org.apache.karaf.boot.Bean;
>>> import org.apache.karaf.boot.Init;
>>>
>>> @Bean(id = "simple-bean")
>>> public class SimpleBean {
>>>
>>>      @Init
>>>      public void simple() {
>>>          System.out.println("Hello world");
>>>      }
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> You can see the @Bean and @Init karaf-boot annotations. The
>>> karaf-boot-maven-plugin will generate the blueprint descriptor using
>>> this.
>>>

>>>   Current Status
>>>   --------------
>>> I pushed Karaf Boot structure there:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-boot
>>>
>>> It's a mix of rewrapping of existing code (from aries, pax-exam,
>>> etc) and
>>> additions.
>>>
>>> I created the annotations, I'm now working on the
>>> karaf-boot-maven-plugin
>>> based on Christian's work in aries (I'm actually scanning the boot
>>> annotations now, and generating the XML).
>>>
>>> I will push new changes later today and tomorrow.
>>>
>>>   Open Questions
>>>   ---------------
>>> * For now, I would prefer to be 'artifacts' and 'resources'
>>> generator: I
>>> think it's better than to depend to a feature running in Karaf, but
>>> it's
>>> open to discussion.
>>> * I'm now generating blueprint. Probably native OSGi or scr
>>> generation can
>>> make sense.
>>> * I'm generating bundles: thanks to the Karaf4 features resolver, as
>>> the
>>> bundles provide requirements/capabilities metadata, I think it's a good
>>> start. However, maybe it's worth to be able to create features, kar,

>>> Regards