karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Lange <fabian.la...@codecentric.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create and provide karaf-boot plugin
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 07:06:53 GMT
Hi JB,

correct. But I don't consider that to be a real problem. I have to deal
with about 50 osgi bundles at the moment. And because the standard assembly
is not in the layout I want I would anyway need to have one to change the
layout and customize the contents (properties etc).

So my opinion is that while your proposal is nice to have, its not really
worth much effort, because anybody who wants to build a dist needs actually
much more control, rather than more helper magic.

Fabian

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> I fully agree with you that creating a custom distro is easy but, correct
> me if I'm wrong, right now, you have:
> - modules with your application code
> - a module dedicated for your feature
> - a module dedicated for your custom distribution assembly
>
> You provision the distribution created by the assembly.
>
> What I'm proposing is just a simple way to have a ready to go code and
> building, in order to avoid the overhead of the "custom distribution"
> plumbing module.
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 04/27/2015 09:57 PM, Fabian Lange wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> quick feedback from here. I used the current 4.0 way of building my custom
>> dist and it was actually easy enough.
>> What you propose seems to hide a few karaf details, which I personally
>> think should be handled explicitly.
>>
>> In my case for example, I am actually happy with managing the required
>> bootFeatures myself.
>>
>> Fabian
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Actually, I wasn't clear.
>>>
>>> At I'm proposing is not only a new plugin, it's also a dependency.
>>>
>>> Imagine, that in your project pom.xml, you have:
>>>
>>> <parent>
>>> <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>karaf-boot-starter-parent</artifactId>
>>> <version>4.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>> </parent>
>>>
>>> The parent contains all plugins and dependencies set, especially the
>>> Karaf
>>> standard distribution.
>>>
>>> Later in your pom.xml, you have:
>>>
>>> <build>
>>> <plugins>
>>> <plugin>
>>>    <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
>>>    <artifactId>karaf-boot-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>> </plugin>
>>> </plugins>
>>> </build>
>>>
>>> In your project, you just need a class describing your Karaf
>>> bootstrapping:
>>>
>>> @KarafBootApplication
>>> @WithShell
>>> @profiles({"a","b","c"})
>>> @featuresBoot({"f1","f2"})
>>> public class MyContainer implements KarafBootstrapper {
>>>
>>> @Override
>>> public void run() {
>>>    // setup your Karaf bootstrapping
>>> }
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> The user can add "boot features" to customize the container:
>>>
>>> <dependency>
>>> <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
>>> <artifactId>org.apache.karaf.boot.webcontainer</artifactId>
>>> </dependency>
>>>
>>> for instance it will automatically add Pax Web war feature in
>>> featuresBoot
>>> (no need to use @featuresBoot).
>>>
>>> The purpose is to (depending of the goal used by the user):
>>> 1/ be able to run container+application easily
>>> 2/ package a custom distribution, ready to go ("key turn") including