karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Clean up karaf-maven-plugin goals
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 14:53:59 GMT

Am 08.04.2015 um 13:58 schrieb Guillaume Nodet:

>> Yes, when adding new goals, we should remove the "old" one.
>>
>> For instance, features-export-meta-data should replace the
>> feature-generate-descriptor (and so update Karaf internal accordingly).
>>
> Thea features-export-meta-data does not seem to do much compared to the
> feature-generate-descriptor.
> Christian, could you give more insight of what this goal actually does ?
> At first glance, it looks like it's creating a new feature descriptor, by
> aggregating selected features from multiple repositories into a single
> descriptor, and eventually in a single feature definition.  I'm not even
> sure that's a good idea to use it, as the end result looks like
> copy/pasting from the original descriptors instead of pointing to them.
This goal was used for a maven build to create an eclipse rcp feature
target platform from a set of features.
This allowed to gather all required bundles to install for example cxf
as well as several other karaf features for an eclipse rcp GUI
application that could
then be built using tycho. I think the reason why I used one feature is
that we had problems getting several features working in a tycho build.

The project where we used this itself is not open but I can publish the
rest of the build details we used if others want to create such a
deployment.

I am not sure how to proceeed with this goal. One direction would be to
remove it, the other would be to complete it so karaf features can
provision eclipse rcp applications.
Did others do something similar?

>> features-add-to-repository is clearly deprecated with install-kars.
>>
> Any known thing that this one would do which may not be present in the
> install-kars mojo ?
> Btw, I would favour a rename of that one, as it's now more about building a
> distribution and kara may not be used at all (one could use profiles, kars
> or simple features descriptors).
> What about "create-distribution" ?
Yes the name install-kars  is misleading. With a more neutral name I can
imagine removing the  features-add-to-repository goal.
If the name would stay at install-kars then I think people would not
understand that you can also provision features into a maven style
directory strutcture.

Christian