karaf-dev mailing list archives

From developm...@mobigov.com
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create and provide karaf-boot plugin
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:11:26 GMT

Is there a way to do other things that can be done with the current way
of creating a custom distributions i.e

Modify the org.ops4j.pax.web.cfg to use port 8080 on startup

Add external jars to the lib directory.

or is it just going to be an additional option for how to deploy
features. I am sorry if I am not on the right track.

On 2015-04-27 15:53, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Actually, I wasn't clear.
>
> At I'm proposing is not only a new plugin, it's also a dependency.
>
> Imagine, that in your project pom.xml, you have:
>
> <parent>
> <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
> <artifactId>karaf-boot-starter-parent</artifactId>
> <version>4.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </parent>
>
> The parent contains all plugins and dependencies set, especially the Karaf standard distribution.
>
> Later in your pom.xml, you have:
>
> <build>
> <plugins>
> <plugin>
> <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
> <artifactId>karaf-boot-maven-plugin</artifactId>
> </plugin>
> </plugins>
> </build>
>
> In your project, you just need a class describing your Karaf bootstrapping:
>
> @KarafBootApplication
> @WithShell
> @profiles({"a","b","c"})
> @featuresBoot({"f1","f2"})
> public class MyContainer implements KarafBootstrapper {
>
> @Override
> public void run() {
> // setup your Karaf bootstrapping
> }
>
> }
>
> The user can add "boot features" to customize the container:
>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
> <artifactId>org.apache.karaf.boot.webcontainer</artifactId>
> </dependency>
>
> for instance it will automatically add Pax Web war feature in featuresBoot (no need to
use @featuresBoot).

> The purpose is to (depending of the goal used by the user):
> 1/ be able to run container+application easily
> 2/ package a custom distribution, ready to go ("key turn") including applications
>
> Again, the approach is, from the native user codebase, be able to bootstrap a container
embedding the user applications. This container can be started directly from the project,
and provide an artifact ready to deploy (on docker, or whatever). The artifact is actually
a custom karaf distribution.

> I hope it's clearer. Again, it's just an idea, but IMHO, it will give a new dimension
to Karaf: it will turn Karaf as a modern polymorphic container.
> The users can still use Karaf "standalone" where they do the provisioning, or they can
use Karaf "boot" as basis for key turn application container.

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 04/27/2015 07:57 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
a local branch, I worked on some new goals for the karaf-maven-plugin, especially: karaf:run
to easily bootstrap and start a Karaf instance +1 karaf:deploy to upload (scp) the project
artifact (or a given artifact) in the deploy folder or the system folder (respecting the maven
structure) +1 we could also add sftp and http/https upload, with the help of the maven http
servlet i've added in 4.x karaf:client to connect to a running Karaf instance and execute
commands +1, i suppose we'd need interactive and scripted, like the bin/client script, right
? I would like to add a new plugin (more than a new goal): karaf-boot-maven-plugin with the
boot goal. The purpose is easily: 1/ in the end user code module, build a karaf custom distribution
including karaf standard distribution and the end user built application 2/ be able to easily
include test with pax-exam 3/ provide a ready to run artifact 4/ provide a
way to specify profiles or features to include in the distribution It's just an idea for now.
The purpose is to provide a ready to run Karaf container like users does with spring-boot.
So it would create the distribution, same as the install-kars / assembly goal, then use the
karaf:run goal ? The only step than the assembly / run / archive goals can't do is the tests,
but I'm not completely sure to understand this part... It looks more like an archetype than
a plugin to me ? Or do I miss something ? Thoughts ? Regards JB -- Jean-Baptiste Onofré jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net [1] Talend - http://www.talend.com [2]

Links:
------