karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Switch karaf decanter to EventAdmin
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 21:03:01 GMT
On 17.03.2015 21:16, Achim Nierbeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did take a look at the event admin solution.
> One question up front. Why do we need the logging collector with the event
> admin solution? If eventadmin is present all log entries should/could be
> posted directly via the eventadmin.
I like the idea. How would that work? With a special log4j appender or
does pax-logging already support this?

Btw. one reason for the log collector is to translate from the
PaxLoggingEvent to a simple Map<String, Object>. Another thing to not is
that the MDC values are copied
into the key "MDC" and contain a sub map. Does it already work like this?

Basically what I thought was to have the convention thar an EventAdmin
Event would only contain properties of simple types or of Map<String,
Object> where the value is again a simple type. For the most part this
is how EventAdmin events should be done according to the spec.

> Regarding Topics and Indices, I don't think its a good idea to create
> multiple indices, but the topic can be used differently.
> Instead of sending karaf_events
I agree to not have separate indices. If elastic search can not
correlate between indices it is better to have them in one index.
Some people might still want it for some reason but I think the major
case is to put all into the same index. So I think we can delay
providing configs for several indexes until there is a first good use case.

> client.prepareIndex(indexName, "karaf_event").setSource(jsonObject
> .toString()).execute().actionGet();
>
> the topic could be used instead
>
> client.prepareIndex(indexName, event.getTopic()).setSource(jsonObject
> .toString()).execute().actionGet();
> That should be more like what you where expecting to achieve with the
So you would use the Topic as the type. One thing to consider here is
that I currently translate the logger name into a topic name. This has
the advantage that it is quite easy in EventAdmin to filter for a logger
name including all sub names.  If you create the type from this that
would make lots of different types. I am not sure what would happen in
Elastic Search with that.

As far as I understood a type means that each type has different
properties. So maybe we can derive the type from a different field. For
example we could have the type as a separate field that the collectors
set. So for example for JMX each bean could be a different type as they
all have different properties.

For logs I am not sure. Most log entries will be the same but as MDC
comes into play users can build their own kind of types. Not sure how to
handle that. Currently I simply put all into the same index in the end
so the MDC values are all there but there is not futher structure. Maybe
this is completely ok for how elastic search works.

Thanks for the feedback Achim.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider