karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:58:01 GMT
We had this setting  of using the system repo as a local repo at the
start of development of karaf 3. It had quite negative effects.
The problem is that maven will write into the local repo. The system
repo should be read only though.  So I think the system repo as a remote
repo is a good choice.

The only problem I see is that some people do not like that a local repo
is written in .m2 for production machines. So it would be great if we
could find a way to optionally
avoid writing into the local repo. I think this case is typical if
people either have all bundles in the system repo or if they always want
to connect to their own nexus or similar server.

In some cases on the other hand I think it is good to have a local repo
as cache for production machines. In the case where the system repo does
not contain all necessary bundles the local repo will
cache all necessary bundles after the first install. So the production
machine is then independent from the internet.

For developer machines as a third case it is good to be able to override
the jars in the system repo with the jars in the local repo. So for
example if I run a snapshot of karaf and work on a module I can do
changes in the module, rebuild it to my local repo and update the bundle
in karaf. I hope this case still works after your change.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de