karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Migration to SCR
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 15:24:00 GMT
> I would plan this for Karaf 4.0.0, even if it's internal.

While I don't have a strong objection on having it as part of a 4.x
release, that would mean that it will get pushed back way into the
future.
3.x release took us almost 3 years to get out and we stalled 2.3.x for
1.5 year in favour of 3.x.

What I take from that experience, is that its not a good idea to push
stuff to major releases, when they are candidates for a major release.

> It's an important jump internally in Karaf, and should be addressed in a
> major release.

I agree that this is an important change. Semantic versioning doesn't
force us to push "important" changes to major releases. Since we are
talking about a change that is transparent to the user, the importance
of the change is a good reason to deliver it asap :-)

> We just release Karaf 3.0.0, and we have to let people and other projects to
> move smoothly (even if as you said, you should not have impact).

This is another good reason, for not rushing a 4.x release.

--
Ioannis Canellos

Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
Twitter: iocanel