karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas about karaf and gogo commands
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:56:17 GMT

> Hi Achim,
>
> I accept you opinion yet with some disappointment about your ignorance of
> the outside world.
> I hope this does not refelect the whole karaf community.

guess, that's me - always a bit ignorant

> JB and Guillaume seem to be fine with improving the gogo support.
>
> As for the KISS principle. I think the gogo command style follows this
> principle better then the karaf Action style. You can simply export a gogo
> command class as a service. So you are really just exposed to the API. For
> DS this also means
> that there is no need for any extender. Can it be more simple like that?
>
> In our Action case there always has to be a Command adapter that needs to
> be pulled up and exported as a command. Guillaume did some great work to
> make the usage of Action in karaf as easy as possible and it helps us a
> lot.
> Still the gogo model is just simpler in its core. So I think we should at
> least consider it too. Especially when we think about a new API for karaf
> 4.
>
> What I miss from all your mails is some real technical arguments. Your
> arguments are just I don't need it and I don't care about the outside
> world. This style of discussion reminds me more of politics than apache. As
> said above I accept this as your opinion. So I am fine if you do not want
> to go into more details.

Sorry have a job to do all day, need to work on real projects which
unfortunately
have nothing to do with Karaf. So I can't play around all day with all
kinds of different Ideas.
Though till now I thought I'm pretty much settled in those technologies to
see which
does make sense and which doesn't. But maybe doing this profession now for
more then 14 years
is not enough.

Maybe I've looked into the wrong direction to see the light you're spending?

As an offer for peace on this topic, I'll just ignore it further on and
will keep all my objections for myself.

Achim

Christian