karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Ideas about karaf and gogo commands
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:43:33 GMT
Hi Achim,

have you ever asked any developer of commands outside karaf what he
wants or needs?
You asume yagni but is it perhaps more like iagni ?

Are you really sure that an external developer could live with the only
two alternatives you would give them?
- Loose all extended karaf features
- Create two sets of commands

I also think we should separate two things here. What I spend my time
with is mainly my concern.
The other thing is the impact on karaf. I clearly understand that you
fear a more complicated code in karaf.
I can assure you that I will do my best to keep the code simple to
better support gogo commands.

There is also a need for a new command API in karaf 4 which Guillaume
also looks into. I see some good reasons why maybe an extended gogo API
may be the best fit for us.
Trying to achieve better support for gogo commands would also give us a
good chance to see how this alternative would work. So it might help us
decide
about the future API.

Christian

--