karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: A Blueprint Free Karaf
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:14:50 GMT
I went the pure OSGi way for  CXF DOSGi. It works but is quite error
prone as you have to handle the dynamics of services and config
yourself. As DOSGi is a pretty small project I think it was worth the
effort for getting rid of DI dependencies.

For karaf I would not like to have to do this for every service and
command bundle. DS might work quite well there.
I have looked into the source from Ioannis. He uses SCR annotations for
the wiring and the felix scr plugin to generate the xml. So it looks
like not to much effort. The learning curve is of course there but I
think with some good example projects it should be relatively easy.

I have not yet seen how the SCR annotations handle config injection. I
hope it works equally well.

Christian

Am 06.12.2013 23:05, schrieb Łukasz Dywicki:
> Yes Joed,
> You got the point I wanted to reflect. DS and SCR is still dependency which, for sure,
may be optional. Switching to poorer replacement from feature rich blueprint will bring bigger
cost than moving to plain osgi. For me it will look like stopping in half of the way.
> Most of us knows well core spec plus something about blueprint. Very few from us knows
anything more about SCR, except the fact, that it's exists. This kind of change may decrese
number of maintaners to these who already know SCR. From drawbacks of another DI I may throw
that it requires, if I'm not wrong, additional bundle header which lists all components. Also
integration with maven bundle plugin seems missing. Ie for blueprint we get imports for free
and validation, because when this plugin fails to read XML prevents build from passing.

> The idea of extender, shared earlier in this topic, which install necessary features
is very good. It might be used in similar way as deployers or feature resolvers to preprocess
bundles before installation to automatically enable certain features.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect