karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: A Blueprint Free Karaf
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:48:21 GMT
Removing blueprint from karaf is a change I would reserve for karaf 4.
In 3.x we could simply switch to DS but still provide blueprint by
default. We would also create a blueprint feature in 3.x and 2.x. CXF
could then start depending on the blueprint feature. The for karaf 4 we
would simply remove the blueprint bundles from the standard feature.

So we could manage to do the big internal changes very soon and still
stay compatible till the new major version.

Christian

Am 05.12.2013 17:40, schrieb Daniel Kulp:
> On Dec 5, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Achim Nierbeck <bcanhome@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> I'm fully with you for the client side I wouldn't walk that path for a
>> Karaf without Blueprint.
>> I just have the feeling that especially for the minimal bundle it could be
>> really helpful to start without
>> blueprint.
>> @Dan regarding minimal and blueprint, yes though I think since we'd still
>> provide the blueprint feature it would be viable way of doing minimal
>> without blueprint but the user who still needs it
>> needs to depend on that blueprint feature.
> The issues is what to do about frameworks that need blueprint, but the user may not.
    The user may not even know that Blueprint is needed.   Their app may be completely spring-dm
based or something.  However, if they depend on CXF, they would also need blueprint or CXF
won’t work (CXF uses Blueprint in many places).   (Yes, changing CXF to use DS or something
is certainly a possible enhancement, anyone want to tackle that?)

> Right now, there isn’t a “blueprint” feature that CXF can depend on.   We can add
one for 3.1 or 4.0, but if CXF then depends on it, then it would no longer load into any 2.3.x
Karaf without also doing a 2.3.x release.   That’s mostly my point, removing something that
is there by default in 2.3 or 3.0 WILL have user impact.   It’s not a major one, but it
is something that needs to be considered on how to manage it, particularly for frameworks
that tend to try and keep a range of compatible Karaf versions supported.

> It could also be something like having a very small bundle listener or bundle install
hook or something in the core that when a bundle is loaded (pre-resolve), if there is a "Bundle-Blueprint”
manifest, it would automatically start the blueprint feature.   Might have some timing quirks
that would need to be worked out, but possibly doable.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect