karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Gert Vanthienen <gert.vanthie...@gmail.com>
Subject Which config.properties and startup.properties with admin:create ?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:39:25 GMT
L.S.,

The current implementation of the admin:create command uses copies
from the Karaf assembly of the config.properties and
startup.properties files when creating the instance.

If you're running a plain Karaf container, that's pretty much OK but
if you have something else built on top of Karaf (e.g. ServiceMix), it
would make a lot more sense to get those properties files out of your
current root instance instead.  Unlike the settings files for
features, logging, ..., these files are used to bootstrap the
container, so by the time the child container has started, it's too
late to update them.

One example: in ServiceMix 5, we are using the startup.properties file
to ensure we have Features OBR support installed and that our Camel
instrumentation hook is being started as soon as possible to ensure
all our routes get instrumented.  If you do an admin:create in
ServiceMix 5, you will have to manually go and edit the
startup.properties file before starting the child container to get the
same behavior.

The same probably goes for the config.properties.  If I want to build
a product/project on top of Karaf that uses Equinox instead of Felix
by default, the admin:create command would still create a plain Karaf
container running Felix.

In my mind, it would make more sense for the admin:create command to
create a child instance with the same bootstrap settings as the root,
so if that's OK for everyone, I'll raise a JIRA and fix this.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen