karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] thoughts on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1545 ?
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 17:55:06 GMT
2013/5/13 Dan Tran <dantran@gmail.com>

> For my case, my distribution consists of Karaf container + our bunbles, + a
> bunch of stand alone apps with bootstrap/startup script generated by
> appassembler-maven-plugin[1].
>
> The standalone apps ( command line utilities, swing app, etc ) have its
> jars placed under lib directory where the startup/boostrap script will use
> to construct the extract classpath.
>
> Now, base on Guillaume Nodet comments, I have to think hard about my
> approach, since karaf indirectly load all the jars under lib directory to
> its class loader.  The question here, which class loader are we talking
> about here ( system? ) and which component under karaf would care about
> this hidden feature?

The only change I suggested is to slightly alter the shell script to add
lib/system/*.jar to the classpath.
That keeps all existing installation unchanged and allow more control for
the jdbc driver use case.
We need to correctly document the classloading mechanism, but it's a
minimal change which imho cleanly support the needed use case.