karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: release by subsystem
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:23:19 GMT
I deeply disagree as it is not compliant with the Apache rules.

It's our guarantee and responsibility to review release and vote for 
*all* releases.

More over, I don't see issue with our current releases.

I disagree with Christian, I don't think that Karaf 2.3.x was a mistake, 
it was the occasion to promote important update (new OSGi version, etc) 
without embedding too much changes.

My 0.02€

Regards
JB

On 03/13/2013 01:19 AM, Andrei Pozolotin wrote:
> Guillaume:
>
> how about automatic, once a month, karaf RC-XXX release, w/o vote?
>
> Andrei.
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: release by subsystem
> From: Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com>
> To: dev@karaf.apache.org <dev@karaf.apache.org>
> Date: Tue 12 Mar 2013 06:24:24 PM CDT
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Andrei Pozolotin <
>> andrei.pozolotin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>      *Jean-Baptiste, Łukasz**
>>>      *
>>>      FYI:
>>>
>>>      1) I released a jenkins plugin which allows incremental cascaded
>>>      releases from any level of dependency tree:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Maven+Cascade+Release+Plugin
>>
>> Thx for the heads up.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>      2) I hope you can switch away from monolithic releases and release
>>>      karaf modules/subsystems on demand and often.
>>>
>> Releasing karaf is fairly easy, and we rarely are waiting for third party
>> dependencies.
>> When that happens, it's mostly because we have bugs waiting to be fixed.
>>
>>
>>>      3) IIRC,  the first time "3.0.0.RC1 will come out in 2 weeks"  was
>>>      promised on this mailing list about 2 years back :-)
>>>
>> And this has nothing to do with the release process.  Technically speaking,
>> trunk or branches are mostly always in a releasable state.
>>
>>
>>>      Thank you,
>>>
>>>      Andrei
>>>
>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>> Subject: Re: release by subsystem
>>> From: Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
>>> To: dev@karaf.apache.org
>>> Date: Thu 07 Feb 2013 02:26:10 PM CST
>>>> Hi Andrei,
>>>>
>>>> I understand your point.
>>>>
>>>> Some parts are really tight together. However, that's the purpose of
>>>> the minimal distribution and framework:
>>>>
>>>> - framework should provide the most minimal Karaf container (however,
>>>> it embeds Aries Blueprint for instance, as Karaf bundles use it)
>>>> - minimal is a very lightweight Karaf container, the purpose is to let
>>>> the user create a custom distribution on top of that.
>>>>
>>>> I'm listening all proposals to improve these distributions !
>>>>
>>>> Regards
>>>> JB
>>>>
>>>> On 02/07/2013 05:30 PM, Andrei Pozolotin wrote:
>>>>>       *Jean-Baptiste*
>>>>>
>>>>>       I am curious if you envision to change karaf layout so release
by
>>>>>       subsystem is possible.
>>>>>
>>>>>       For example, if I use minimal sub set of karaf, which does not
need
>>>>>       Aries, why should I wait for it?
>>>>>
>>>>>       this is similar to how ops4j was partitioned way back, so there
are
>>>>>       no monolithic Godzilla releases any more.
>>>>>
>>>>>       Thank you,
>>>>>
>>>>>       Andrei
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

-- 
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Mime
View raw message