karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Idea: Allow users to patch feature files
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:18:46 GMT
Yup, regex support definitely makes sense.

Regards
JB

On 02/26/2013 06:15 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, after discussing with Dan, I got a better understanding.
>>
>> The purpose is not to have a "patch". The purpose is to have a mapping of URL (ALL
URL, feature, bundle, config, or whatever).

>> Basically, it means that we can have a cfg file in etc, let say etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.map.cfg
containing:

>> # feature XML
>> mvn:foo/bar/1.0/xml/features=mvn:myfoo/mybar/1.1/xml/features
>> # bundle
>> mvn:group/bundleA/1.0=mvn:group/bundleA/1.1
>> # config
>>
>> At URL resolution, Pax Url can check the content of the map cfg and use the mapped
URL. Like this, it allows users to override any kind of resources.

>> I used Pax Url because the URL handling is performed there, and so I think the feature
should go there.

>> WDYT ?
>
> Yea.  Exactly that.   Thanks for distilling my random thoughts down into something workable.
>
> I'd SUGGEST also making the source URL's a regex of some sort:
>
> mvn:foo/bar/1.*/xml/features=mvn:myfoo/mybar/1.1/xml/features
>
> or similar.   People could use exact versions/url's, but a regex just makes it a bit
more flexible.  Probably could even do the group expansions:

> mvn:org.apache.cxf/(.*)/2.6.5=mvn:org.apache.cxf/\1/2.6.6
>
> :-)
>
> Dan
>

>> Regards
>> JB

it works with a simple URL refresh on the features repositories.

already works. So we can apply diff + patch -p0 directly on the features XMLs.

>>> The problem with this is that if the user then does:
>>>
>>> features:chooseurl  foosnarf 2.5
>>>
>>> and foosnarf also uses an older version, they still get the older version.
This requires the user to to patch a BUNCH of features.xml files.    I'd definitely prefer
something that would allow overriding of information in the system directory (or pulled in),
not require changes to stuff in the system directory.

>>> Dan

of various libraries.    For example, lets suppose the CXF features.xml pulls in a particular
version of something, lets say WSS4J.    Camel, because they may run a little behind CXF,
may have an older version in their features.xml.  (forget ranges and forget the obr for second)
  If we could map URL's, we could leave the camel features file alone.   There are a bunch
of bundles that CXF and Camel (and others) have at different patch levels.   Yes, we can work
in the communities to unify some of that, but that still leaves the people that are trying
to mix and match various versions to have some extra headaches.

  Thus, to get Camel to use a new version of CXF requires a patched version of the Camel features.xml
or you end up with both versions of CXF in the features:list.    If we could map the URL for
the imported features.xml, then we could, more simply, prevent these issues.

via a URL?   Swap the version of "xerces" with this new version.   Or use specs 2.2 instead
of 2.1 or similar.

released project is incorrect. Another similar case is if a small issue appears that can be
fixed by just patching a single bundle.
file to make this work without a new release and without making user apps bump up the dependency
to the feature file to the next bugfix release number.

to the named feature files after loading them. So a user could patch their feature files to
quickly fix simple issues.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org