karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Idea: Allow users to patch feature files
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:30:14 GMT

On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> What is the value comparing to just a URL refresh and bundle refresh ?
> Not sure to see the point.

Basically, to allow productizations of Karaf to more easily unify versions of various libraries.
   For example, lets suppose the CXF features.xml pulls in a particular version of something,
lets say WSS4J.    Camel, because they may run a little behind CXF, may have an older version
in their features.xml.  (forget ranges and forget the obr for second)   If we could map URL's,
we could leave the camel features file alone.   There are a bunch of bundles that CXF and
Camel (and others) have at different patch levels.   Yes, we can work in the communities to
unify some of that, but that still leaves the people that are trying to mix and match various
versions to have some extra headaches.

The other scenario would be that Camel imports the CXF features file.   Thus, to get Camel
to use a new version of CXF requires a patched version of the Camel features.xml or you end
up with both versions of CXF in the features:list.    If we could map the URL for the imported
features.xml, then we could, more simply, prevent these issues.

Dan

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/26/2013 05:12 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>
>> Could this be even more "generic" and apply to everything loaded via a URL?   Swap
the version of "xerces" with this new version.   Or use specs 2.2 instead of 2.1 or similar.

>> Dan
>>

>> On Feb 26, 2013, at 3:46 AM, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net>
wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> sometimes we have the issue that a feature file of an already released project
is incorrect. Another similar case is if a small issue appears that can be fixed by just patching
a single bundle.
>>> In both cases it is necessary to change an existing feature file to make this
work without a new release and without making user apps bump up the dependency to the feature
file to the next bugfix release number.

>>> So I thought about a way to patch feature files at runtime.
>>>
>>> The idea is to have a config with:
>>> <mvn url of feature>:<path to patch>
>>>
>>> This config would make the feature command apply the patches to the named feature
files after loading them. So a user could patch their feature files to quickly fix simple
issues.

--
Daniel Kulp