karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Heath Kesler <heathkes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about BootstrapLogManager
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:46:05 GMT
Thanks for the reply Andreas,

I am working on it, I hope to have a patch for review by the end of the week.

Thanks
Heath

On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:

> Basically I see no reason not to do this; Where exactly would you like
> to handle those exceptions? Do you have an idea/patch at hand for your
> idea?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Heath Kesler <heathkesler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I am working on karaf-1748, and the consensus is that we should avoid printing stack
traces on a (permission denied) FileNotFoundException on startup if the karaf.log is not accessible.
 But in order to achieve this we need to throw an exception from BootstrapLogManager.  Currently
any exception in that class just does a e.printStackTrace() then returns a null handler (which
also throws a NPE).  So this of course prints to the console.

>> Is there any reason we should not throw an exception from that class and handle it
further up in the calling classes to avoid printing to the console in this case (and possibly
others)?  I believe the DefaultJDBCLock and the SimpleFileLock would have to handle the exception
along with a couple of others.