karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASM version....
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 21:37:49 GMT

On Sep 28, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is rather. Does asm 4.x break anything? Or is it only its
> internal handling?

If I remember correctly, it pretty much breaks a lot of things.   It's mostly SOURCE compatible,
but not binary compatible at all.   Code compiled against 3.x won't work with 4.x and vice
versa.   CXF switched to using some reflection magic to allow use of either version of ASM.
  Kind of crappy, but……..

Dan

> Kind regards Andreas
> On Sep 28, 2012 10:11 PM, "Daniel Kulp" <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> I was doing some testing with the latest Karaf 2.3.0 snapshot and
>> discovered that it only includes the 3.3.1 version of ASM.  However, the
>> Aries proxy stuff now requires 4.x.    Is that dependency  going to be
>> updated?   Should we have both to not break existing things?
>>

>> --
>> Daniel Kulp

Daniel Kulp