karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:31:16 GMT
Thanks Scott,

I will review and apply the patch.

Regards
JB

On 09/12/2012 03:30 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
> Makes sense to me.  They still have a number of issues that they are
> working to include in 1.8.x.  I will add a note in the Javadoc stating what
> version is currently supported.
>
> I am uploading a new patch to KARAF-1753 today.  It will take the place of
> the one currently attached to the ticket.  It catches up on some conflicts
> to the original patch.
>
> Best Regards,
> Scott ES
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>
>> Oh, got it Scott.
>>
>> IMHO, I would prefer to stay with Felix DS 1.6.0. As we are going to
>> release 2.3.0 very soon, we can ship SNAPSHOT.
>>
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 09/12/2012 03:22 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the response.  Bad question on my part.
>>>
>>> Better question is are we going to wait until all the functionality that
>>> is
>>> to be included in Karaf 2.3 that is dependent on the corresponding Felix
>>> projects to get updated?  Felix DS (SCR) with support for OSGi 4.3/DS Spec
>>> 1.2 (Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT) is still under development.
>>>
>>> Should I migrate the SCR bundles to the Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT for Karaf
>>> 2.3?
>>>
>>> Or do I wait, leave it at OSGi 4.2/DS Spec 1.1 (Felix DS 1.6.0) and then
>>> update them in a later release of Karaf 2.3.x?
>>>
>>> I am OK with either.  Just need your input.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net
>>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Hi Scott,
>>>>
>>>> Karaf 2.3 already uses OSGi r4.3 (and corresponding framework).
>>>>
>>>> Regards
>>>> JB
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 09/12/2012 02:41 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>>>>
>>>>   Hi All,
>>>>>
>>>>> What was the final outcome on this?  Is Karaf-2.3.x going to be based
on
>>>>> OSGi 4.3?
>>>>>
>>>>> Needing to know if I should update the Karaf 2.3.x SCR bundles to the
>>>>> Felix
>>>>> DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT which has the 4.3 support in it.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best Regards,
>>>>> Scott ES
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Freeman Fang <freeman.fang@gmail.com
>>>>>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>    +1 for Andreas's first plan.
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Freeman
>>>>>> -------------
>>>>>> Freeman Fang
>>>>>>
>>>>>> FuseSource
>>>>>> Email:ffang@fusesource.com
>>>>>> Web: fusesource.com
>>>>>> Twitter: freemanfang
>>>>>> Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.****com<http://freemanfang.**
>>>>>> blogspot.com <http://freemanfang.blogspot.com>>
>>>>>> http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/****1473905042<http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/**1473905042>
>>>>>> <http://blog.sina.**com.cn/u/1473905042<http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> weibo: http://weibo.com/u/1473905042
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 2012-8-18, at 下午1:19, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>    TBH I personally would rather prefer:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
>>>>>>> - Karaf 3.x.y => OSGi core 4.3.0
>>>>>>> - Karaf 4.x.y => OSGi core 5.0.0
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> or
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
>>>>>>> - Karaf 3.x.y => OSGi core 5.0.0
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I know that both options are not really optimal, but I don't
think
>>>>>>> that we really want to upgrade the inner core of the entire thing
to
>>>>>>> the next major version in a minor of Karaf. There where some
API
>>>>>>> changes from a user lvl of view which disallow to drop the same
bundle
>>>>>>> into a 4.2/4.3 environment and a 5.0. I do not really fancy the
idea
>>>>>>> of breaking compatibility between minor releases. If ppls setup
break
>>>>>>> from one minor to the next they lost trust and upgrade ways too
late
>>>>>>> although there should be no reason.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> WDYT?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Kind regards,
>>>>>>> Andreas
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
>>>>>>> jb@nanthrax.net
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   Hi team,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> As you know, OSGi core 5.0.0 has been released.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I would like to discuss about which version of Karaf should
support
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>   which
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   version of the OSGi core (and so the corresponding OSGi frameworks).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I have the following proposal:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
>>>>>>>> - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
>>>>>>>> - Karaf 3.0.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
>>>>>>>> - Karaf 3.1.x => OSGi core 5.0.0
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I would wait Karaf 3.1.x to update to OSGi core 5.0.0 as
the OSGi
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>   frameworks
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   are not yet fully ready on this specification.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> WDYT ?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Regards
>>>>>>>> JB
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>>>>>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>>>>>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>>>>>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>   --
>>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>
>
>
>

-- 
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Mime
View raw message