karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Telling whether startup is really complete
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:55:16 GMT
+1 on Ioannis,

and tbh I don't see how a hit enter does improve here,
last time I used it I had to hit 4 times on enter to get a shell, so
there was in no means
any better usage then before.
Concerning using command-scripts I still don't see the issue with that,
Karaf is a Server it's not supposed to be rebooted every 5 minutes it's build
to last for ever, or memory does us part. Just like any other container.
And from my experience with Operations I can guarantee you they are far more
into the "where do I monitor your app?" question then "is it already
up and running?"
For operations it's far more vital to tell that the application isn't
running anymore cause they
have to guarantee certain SLAs and this is best monitored with nexus /
JMX at this point.
They don't necessarily rely on a shell, and don't care about the first
5 minutes a process takes to
get up and running.
For developers I'd say it still sufficient to use "la" and if it isn't
available I'd say "damn you are fast" :)

regards, Achim

2012/8/10 Ioannis Canellos <iocanel@gmail.com>:
> Christian, nobody said that waiting is bad, on the contrary it is really
> nice. Personally I find it a great idea.
> The point of argument is if it is going to be the default behavior or not.
>
> The problem that you describe about the new user is well known and all of
> us have been asked questions by users that fall into that problem.
>
> The question is, should this user problem impose a default startup delay to
> all users?
>
> --
> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *