karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does the ssh:sshd command really need to create a new ssh server on each call?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:48:24 GMT
Hi

I miss a command to list the current running sshd servers.

So for example if people start Karaf using bin/karaf, then there is no
easy way to find out what the SSH port is if you want to remote
connect to your Karaf.

In that light for starters a list option on sshd would be nice
ssdh list

PS: Likewise for JMX etc.
It would be nice with some way to see in the logs / from karaf:info
etc. to see all the running management services and the urls they
expose for remote management. Today you gotta know the defaults, and
"cross fingers" that this is the options you use. If not you gotta go
hunt in the zillion config files in etc to figure out this.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Christian Schneider
<chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while working on the ssh part of karaf I wondered if the sshd command is
> really implemented in the way people need it.
> Currently each call to sshd creates a new ssh server. I personally never had
> the need to have more than one ssh server running for one instance of karaf.
>
> So I wonder if it would make sense to change the command to manage a single
> ssh server instance. Like:
>
> ssh:sshd start -p 8102
> or ssh:sshd start -p 8102
> ssh:sshd stop
>
> JB told me that ssh is used in Fabric and there it might be necessary to
> have more than one instance.
> @Guillaume can you give us some insight how it is used there?
>
> If we decide we need the capability to run more than one instance of ssh
> server then I think we should at least provide full management of these
> instances.
> Currently the sshd command can start any number of ssh servers but it can
> not stop them. I think the servers started in this way would not even stop
> when the ssh bundle is stopped.
>
> I also wonder if it would make sense to separate the ssh server part from
> the ssh client. So you can start a ssh server by installing a
> org.apache.karaf.sshd bundle or similar.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de