karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Does the ssh:sshd command really need to create a new ssh server on each call?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:50:53 GMT
Hi all,

while working on the ssh part of karaf I wondered if the sshd command is
really implemented in the way people need it.
Currently each call to sshd creates a new ssh server. I personally never
had the need to have more than one ssh server running for one instance
of karaf.

So I wonder if it would make sense to change the command to manage a
single ssh server instance. Like:

ssh:sshd start -p 8102
or ssh:sshd start -p 8102
ssh:sshd stop

JB told me that ssh is used in Fabric and there it might be necessary to
have more than one instance.
@Guillaume can you give us some insight how it is used there?

If we decide we need the capability to run more than one instance of ssh
server then I think we should at least provide full management of these
instances.
Currently the sshd command can start any number of ssh servers but it
can not stop them. I think the servers started in this way would not
even stop when the ssh bundle is stopped.

I also wonder if it would make sense to separate the ssh server part
from the ssh client. So you can start a ssh server by installing a
org.apache.karaf.sshd bundle or similar.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de