karaf-dev mailing list archives

From uromahn <urom...@paypal.com>
Subject Karaf 3.0 Roadmap
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:52 GMT
Hello Karaf community and especially to all committers!

First of all, let me congratulate all of you for the second Birthday of
Apache Karaf. I have been following this project for almost 18 months now
and are truly and deeply impressed by your passion, professionalism and the
quality product that has been created.

Since we here at my company (not sure if I am allowed to disclose my
employer directly , although it may be trivial to find out ;) ) are planning
to heavily bank on Karaf as the core of our future Java-based runtime
container, we also have a vested interest that Karaf is and will be a very
active and productive OSS project.
Once we can finally clear some internal legal hurdles, I hope we can then
contribute more actively to Karaf and one of us here may even become a
committer at some point in time.

I also have actively followed the development on Karaf 3.0 and are really
looking forward to its release. However, I am a little bit unsure about the
future of Karaf 3.0.
Until today, there is absolutely no mention about Karaf 3.0 and its
existence on your public web site. The "official roadmap" published on your
confluence (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Roadmap) is
more than a year old!

A few weeks ago, I noticed a discussion about possibly launching an
alpha/beta program for Karaf 3.0 which would hopefully create some interest
and help you guys in getting all the "kinks" out for the final release.
However, no action has been taken to even announce an alpha/beta program.

I maintain a daily snapshot of Karaf 3.0-SNAPSHOT myself here locally and
test our current development on it whenever I have some time. So far, I have
noticed just a few incompatibilities but just haven't had the time to fully
migrate our application so I can run it on Karaf 3.0-SNAPSHOT as well.

In general, may I suggest to update your public-facing web site and put some
more focus on the current development of Karaf 3.0. That way you may
generate more interest and may actually be able to speed up adoption of it,
especially among users new to it who whish to adopt an OSGI container the
first time.

So, keep up the good work!

Kind regards,
-Uli