karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Do not depend to OSGi Compendium
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:41:26 GMT
Well, the whole thing started with an issue JB had because there was a
mismatch between the compendium jar (hence the version range) and the
config admin at runtime, and those were incompatible.  The problem is
that the compendium is homogeneous, and we may depend on some version
of a given service and other for other services, so using compendium
forbids that.  Also, I usually hate having multiple versions of the
same package in my dependency tree when I can avoid it.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Christian Schneider
<chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> That is right but is it a big issue to just depend on the whole compendium
> jar at build time in maven? The bundle plugin will only import the needed
> packages
> for runtime anyway.
>
> Christian
>
> Am 04.06.2012 17:41, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
>>
>> That's true but unfortunately I'm not aware of any jar providing just the
>> api for a given osgi service.
>>
>> On Monday, June 4, 2012, Christian Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> I think we should not depend on an implementation if there is an API. The
>>> implementation can bring in unwanted transitive depencies that are much
>>> worse than managing the package dependencies.
>>> At runtime it can be enough to install the impl of course if it brings
>>> along the api.
>>>
>>> Christian

>>> --
>>> Christian Schneider