karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Karaf should provide a maven BOM
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 17:08:43 GMT
Hey,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Romain Gilles <romain.gilles@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact when you use the scope import it automatically substitute the
> current import statement by all the dependencyManagement block of the
> pointed dependency (here karaf).

This also works straight ahead if you use the type pom instead of bom.

> Therefore as in your super pom you mix child dependency definitions and
> your third party dependencies then it is more hard to me to specify my
> dependencies on third parties because I have to take care of yours as they
> are imported there is an ordering issue...
> So if you provide a bom I will get only your child projects in my
> dependency management and do my dependency management for my third parties
> without take care of karaf's third parties.

I'm almost sure that this should still work using the pom.

> The may issue raise when you try to import 2 project that (i.e. karaf and
> another one) that does not have the same dependencies... (I mee in term of
> versions).
>
> Do you see what I mean?

Not quite sure if I do :-) Nevertheless, feel free to provide a patch!
Please also provide examples using this new pom to make the advantages
clear to all of us. If there are any plain advantages I/we've missed
by now be assured that I'm the first one applying the patch :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas