karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plans for release of aries blueprint 0.4.1?
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:33:35 GMT
On 12 April 2012 17:10, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fwiw, I have a local fork of the 0.3.x aries maintenance branch which we
> could use as a basis for releasing our own version of the code if we need.
> I think that would be beneficial for the Karaf 2.x branches where we could
> get a bunch a bug fixes that we can't otherwise access.
>
> I know Geronimo has already released forked Aries code, (I suppose because
> of the exact same issue) so I don't think that's a real problem:
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/ext/aries/blueprint/org.apache.aries.blueprint/

I'm not sure where the source for that is, since they don't have svn
elements in their pom. I'd *much* prefer to release Aries from the
Aries project. Creating forks in Karaf and Geronimo won't help keep
the Aries community together. After all, where does a user go to
discuss that Geronimo release of Aries? The Geronimo list or the Aries
list. As a fork it splits the community.

So I'm +1 for doing Aries maintenance releases, but -1 for doing them
outside Aries.

>
> Thoughts ?
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:18, Holly Cummins <holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Unless it's based on a branch from an older blueprint level, I'm fairly
>> sure that releasing blueprint 0.4.1 isn't much less work than releasing
>> 1.0.0.
>>
>> The reason is that the new blueprint code will only resolve against a new
>> version of the util bundle. No existing bundles will resolve against the
>> new util bundle, so any bundles with a util dependency will also need to be
>> re-released.
>>
>> This is pretty wretched, but such issues should go away once we're using
>> version numbers above 1.
>>
>> I'm going slightly slower with the 1.0.0 work than I could because I'm
>> making sure that all the 1.0.0 bundles work together; at the moment I'm
>> unpicking a problem with the application deployment tests and recent
>> testsupport bundles, for example. This could be deferred until after the
>> first 1.0.0 bundles roll off the assembly line, depending how urgently
>> Karaf need a new release. I think it's neater to do things as I am, but
>> pragmatism and neatness aren't always friends.
>>
>> In either case, a new release hasn't been forgotten, and I am working away
>> at it. :)
>>
>> Holly
>>
>>
>> On 11 Apr 2012, at 19:33, "Yonker, Jonathan" <jonathan.yonker@lmco.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello,
>>>
>>> From reading through the mailing list, it appears that I'm not the only
>>> one with this question, but I still have to ask. Is there currently any
>>> timeline for the 0.4.1 release? It appears that all issues in JIRA were
>>> resolved quite a while ago, so it appears that the only problem are the
>>> release problems that I've been reading about on the mailing list. The
>>> project that I'm working on runs on Karaf and we're eagerly awaiting some
>>> of the bugfixes from the 0.4.x branch, but Karaf is waiting for 0.4.1
>>> before they upgrade from 0.3.1 ( https://issues.apache.org/**
>>> jira/browse/KARAF-988 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-988>).
>>> Does anyone have a good guess on the feasibility of releasing 0.4.1 rather
>>> than just going right to 1.0?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any updates you can provide!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jon
>>>
>>
>
>
> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> FuseSource, Integration everywhere
> http://fusesource.com

Mime
View raw message