karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Reuben Garrett <reubengarr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory usage, and max number of bundles/services in a single container
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:20:38 GMT
James,

I don't know a solid answer to your question - but as a starting point, I
believe there are unit-testing capabilities in Karaf that might support
experimentation along these lines.  I almost think the best way to address
this would be through brute-force benchmarks.  For example, a unit test
that generates a specified number of services (e.g. with random names) and
dispatches some number of requests to some or all of them - a kind of
load/soak testing [1].  Perhaps this already exists - I regret that I do
not know for certain.

If it does not already exist, and if you choose to follow this route and
are able to create a generic load test, I suspect it would make a good
addition to Karaf (as an optional benchmark test suite), and I would
encourage you to contribute the suite to the project for the benefit of
others with the same use-case.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soak_testing

~ Reuben