karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Move bundle from framework feature (startup.properties) to a separate feature
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:19:15 GMT
Around the same topic, from a general perspective, I don't think it's a
good idea to provide too thin distribution.

I mean that Karaf is a container, and as a container, it provides
standard features, and the end-user accepts that (as an end-user accepts
to use JEE application server even if he doesn't use all features
provided by the app server).

The key point is to give the ability to the end user to create a custom
container starting from a standard distribution. That's why:
- I'm always agree to provide simple and useful way to create custom
distribution (Maven plugins, etc), etc.
- I'm most of the time against to provide new distributions. We should
have ONE standard distribution. The minimal (or framework) is
interesting to create custom distribution (so used with
karaf-maven-plugin) but it doesn't make sense on its own (nobody will
start a "production" container with minimal, an user will always create
its own distribution on top of minimal).

If the user wants really "home made" container, he can start from the
framework and create its own, specific need oriented.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré