karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Move bundle from framework feature (startup.properties) to a separate feature
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:58:45 GMT
Hi all,

the framework feature is used to create the startup.properties. If I
understood this correctly then
these bundles are loaded in a special way (not with pax-url). To be able
to create a smaller minimal distro (or an even small "network" distro)
I think it makes sense to have as few bundles in there as possible.

So what has to be in there as a bare minimum. I think we need at least
the feature-core and pax-url with their dependencies.
Ist that correct? If we makes these independent of blueprint then I
think we can even skip the whole aries bundles.

So I propose to create a new feature like karaf-core or similar where we
move all features that should always be started but that do not have to
be in the startup.properties.
Does that make sense? If yes I will create a jira and move as many
bundles as possible.

So what is the benefit of moving these? If I think of the "network"
assembly then we can create a karaf distro that only contains the libs
of the startup.properties in the system
dir. The rest can be loaded using pax url. So I am quite sure we can
achieve to have a distro that is smaller than 2-3 MB.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de