karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONF] Apache Karaf > 2010-09-10 Inline jline and jansi into console project
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:42:03 GMT
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christian,
>
> I think you misunderstood me.  I don't care either way myself and that
> was actually not this way at first.  I did that because that was a
> request from downstream users.  Projects such as ActiveMQ use the
> shell console jar outside of OSGi and it makes their life easier.
>
> If we were in a perfect osgi world, each jar would expose its api and
> hide its implementation.  Unfortunately, that's not the way it works,
> and we need to make trade-off  for technical reasons.
>
> Anyway, one thing which would be more interesting Imho would be to
> split the console from the namespace handler.  One reason is that the
> namespace handler is needed for other commands to be registered, but
> some users have asked that the console is actually started as late as
> possible (using bundle start level).  Given the two are in the same
> bundle, that's not possible right now.

Starting the console later would be a great improvement. Today if you
are a bit to fast,
you can weird errors if you start firing commands and whatnot during startup.

Also its confusing that some bundles may print to the console when
they are ready.
So while you are active in the console, then 5-10 sec later that
bundle prints something,
while you are typing a command :)

--
Claus Ibsen