karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:24:16 GMT
Hi JB,

That looks useful but I think it's for a different purpose.  I want something maven sets up
as part of the build, and I want the instance to be a fairly independent server.  Basically
I want the startup.properties for the instance to be generated from startup features in the
same way it is for a karaf assembly, but in the instance directory, and then the instance
files packed up as kar resources rather than packed up as a server assembly tar.gz and zip.

BTW installing an instance from a kar seems to work fine.... I made the resources for the
kar (i.e. all the instance/<foo> files) by hand but once made you can include it in
a karaf assembly and then it works fine.

thanks!
david jencks

On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> What do you think about something like:
>
> karaf@root> instance:create geronimo-my
> karaf@root> instance:connect geronimo-my
> karaf@geronimo-my> profile:apply geronimo
> Patching etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file
> Patching system directory
>
> It's what I have with the profiles for now.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 01/12/2012 01:21 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> Geronimo needs some "special purpose" "little" servers related to the main one, for
instance to run javaee app clients.  I'm thinking of implementing this as a karaf child instance.
 I'm going to make a kar to install it (i.e. all the etc/ and such resource files will be
in a kar under resources/instances/client/etc).

>> At the moment I'm thinking of just reusing most of the files from the main server
and hand-editing them, but maybe it would be possible to combine things so that the server-assembly
mojos generate something into the instances/<foo>  directory and then the kar packaging
step packs stuff into a kar.

>> I don't yet know if this makes sense... it would result in it being easy to make
installable child instances with properties defined in the pom.  Putting the idea out in case
I forget about it :-)