karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Size of karaf distributions
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:28:30 GMT
Well, there's one difference though. To install diagnostics, you need features.
Management, ssh, kars and diagnostic are similar imho: it's nice to
have, but isn't mandatory.
If we can't get the minimal distribution to be somewhat different,
we'd better get rid of it.
But imho, it's a good thing to show how minimal can karaf be, so
anything that can be installed later should be removed I think.

2012/1/3 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>:
> I don't think that removing diagnostic will be a good choice. It is only 61K and it may
stay as core service, similary to features.

> Best regards,
> Lukasz
> --
> Code-House
> http://code-house.org
>
>> Agreed, just the console and basic commands could be enough I suppose.
>> I think removing the console would make things more difficult as users
>> won't be able to install additional features easily.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 14:30, Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sounds good Christian.
>>>
>>> Back to the larger theme, we appear to be making head way in reducing
>>> the overall size of the distribution with the Aether issue reviewed
>>> above, now to reducing convenience features in Karaf to make it
>>> 'minimal'...
>>>
>>> The goal here would be to define the lowest possible set of features
>>> to make Karaf useful, but very feature bare?
>>>
>>> In this case removing diagnostics, management, some deployer support,
>>> and possibly even JAAS or instance admin could be considered. We could
>>> go as far to reduce logging support as well. How bare bones a
>>> distribution can we design while still being useful enough to not
>>> cause heavy frustration (if everyone has to immediately add back a
>>> particular feature then we should probably not remove it).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jamie

So I could
This