karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SCR Tools for Karaf
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:16:57 GMT
Hi... inline

On Jan 8, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> My comments are inlined below.
>
> Scott ES
>
> On Jan 8, 2012, at 3:17 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've modified this a bit to work with trunk and committed the results.  This looks
really really useful!  I've used scr a lot in geronimo and this looks like it will help diagnose
the problems I keep running into.

>> I have a few questions.
>>
>> - I don't understand some of the feature descriptor.  I've replaced it with one generated
from the dependencies.  I don't understand why the repository, eventadmin, or second feature
are needed at all.  Also I don't see why the felix scr and metatype are dependencies rather
than just listed.  I didn't remove the original feature.xml until we straighten this out.

> Most of is for the web console. The web console has a nice interface for SCR  If you
load the web console first it doesn't pick up the SCR dependency and show the tab for it.
The SCR WC interface also has a dependency on MetaType and EventAdmin, at least it used to.
I don't know about 3.x.  So it was more of a convenient work around if I was in an environment
where I had to load it after the WC.

> MetaType also has some additional benefits SCR development when combined with bndlib.
There is a convenience class in bndlib that takes your component config interface and will
create a type safe proxy (see the example code).

> Because of all this I wrapped all the dependencies in a feature for convenience.
>
> I am not sure what the best approach is given the WCs optional dependency on SCR. It
could be that loading of an optional WC capability works correctly in trunk. I will look at
it this afternoon and get back with a response.

I know just about nothing about the webconsole.  I did sort of think that the idea generally
was to put pieces of the web console in with the stuff it worked with, which would mean we
might want to move the webconsole scr support into the scr module.  Maybe someone with more
clue can comment :-)

thanks
david jencks

>> - The colors of the output on the console are very faint (light gray and light yellow).
 I'm not sure how this is configured but would it be possible to make it darker?