karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Start 3.0.x stabilizing branch and feature freeze
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 06:58:55 GMT
 From my point of view everything I need is in trunk already. Whenever
we discussed what should be in 3.0 there were always some features
people wanted to have.
If we can agree that we are feature complete already I am also +1

Christian

Am 14.01.2012 18:19, schrieb David Jencks:
> We've been feature complete since last august, except everyone keeps deciding we need
more features.  I think Andreas's point is that unless we decide that we're going to do a
release we'll never run out of essential features that absolutely need to be in 3.0 before
we can release it.

> What specific features do you need in 3.0 that aren't there right now?
>
> anyway +1 from me.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Jan 14, 2012, at 9:04 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> Basically this is a good idea. I am just unsure if we are already at the point where
we should do the branch.
>> Do we have all features necessary for 3.0 finished? I think we should do the branch
as soon as we are feature complete. So the
>> branch really can focus on stabilizing things.
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Am 14.01.2012 16:40, schrieb Andreas Pieber:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> As all of you know we really want to get Karaf 3.0 out now for some time.
>>> But as long we add new "groundbreaking" features to the master we'll always
>>> destabilize it at some point. To give us a chance to finally stabilize the
>>> entire thing and getting out a 3.0 release I would like to propose a
>>> feature freeze for 3.0 starting (for example) today in a week. Pack
>>> everything into trunk you already have and really want to be part of Karaf
>>> 3. Then we'll cut off a new branch (karaf-3.0.x) where we do not allow any
>>> new features. The version on the master/trunk will be increased to
>>> 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT. This should be the place then for all new features. This
>>> step should free us from new regressions and give us the time to finalize
>>> 3.0.0.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas