karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts about Karaf profiles / releases / growing number of dependencies (Re: AW: AW: Problem when starting camel-cxf in karaf)
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 07:11:46 GMT

Am 04.02.2011 00:53, schrieb David Jencks:

> It seems to me that some of these ideas are not infinitely extensible.  If everyone and
their dog set up their projects to generate a karaf feature/kar we won't be able to track
all of them.  This may not be a problem for a long time though :-)

> SImilarly I'm not sure what you mean by "all installable features".  A kar file gives
you the option of installing any number of bundles and config info and features from a single
file.  These are now easy to create with the feature-maven-plugin.  Does this seem sufficiently
useful?

> thanks
> david jencks

Hi David,

What I meant with all installable feature lists. Is that we provide a
list of possible features.xml url. Ideally without the version number.
Something like:
karaf=>mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf
activemq=>mvn:org.apache.activemq/activemq-karaf
camel=>mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel

So this list could be that base for a command line extension that allows
to browse through the lists and versions. So with the list I provided
you could do:
 > features:possibleurl
karaf
activemq
camel

 > featurelist:possibleurl camel
camel 2.5.0
camel 2.6.0

 >features:addurl camel 2.5.0
 >features:addurl activemq 5.4.2
 >features:addurl karaf 2.1.3

 >features:listurl
mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.1.3/xml/features    valid
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.6.0/xml/features    valid
mvn:org.apache.activemq/activemq-karaf/5.4.2/xml/features    valid

 >features:downloadall
This would download all features from all the features.xml files above
into either one repository e.g. contrib or into one repository for each
of the files. So after this command people could go offline and
later install and uninstall all features they want without internet
connection. This part is very important as many companies do not allow
internet access inside their networks. Still the admins will want to be
flexible enough
to install and uninstall features.

So the idea about this would be that people don´t have to remember the
mvn urls of all the features.xml files out there. Of course it won´t be
possible to track all of them but I think it would be enough
to have the important ones. By not adding the version to the list karaf
could be flexible enough to find e.g. camel 2.7.0 as soon as it is released.

Best regards

Christian

--
----