karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <Achim.Nierb...@ptv.de>
Subject AW: AW: Manual using scalate now in svn
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:15:27 GMT
Charles,

but isn't it even worse in your case,
you have a jetty (war-class loader) where the Karaf/Servicemix is running as a war file.
In this war file you have the pax-logging framework, which isn't working (at least that's
my summary of the other thread :) )

The issue here is, I have Karaf as Runtime with all the class loaders, and I'm deploying a
war file within Karaf. Here we do have a class loader for the war application in which we
are loading the log4j stuff, which might end up with a class cast exception since the same
class was loaded by different class loaders (number one is pax-logging-class loader and second
is the war-class loader)

In your case, we need to make sure pax-logging doesn't loads it's classes by itself, but uses
the one provided by the surrounding jetty-war-class loader.

Please correct me if I did mix something up here :)

Cheers,
Achim

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Charles Moulliard [mailto:cmoulliard@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Oktober 2010 10:08
An: dev@karaf.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Manual using scalate now in svn

Achim,

The question of question is very important and interesting because we
have the following issue when we launch Jetty Web Server containing the
WAR file of ServiceMix (= OSGI Server using Apache Felix or Eclipse
Equinox). In this case, the logging mechanism of ServiceMix relying on
pax-log does not work because log4j class is loaded twice (first time by
Jetty and next by pax-log).

Regards,

Charles

On 22/10/10 10:02, Achim Nierbeck wrote:
> About the patch, I can look into this probably this evening, or later this weekend :)
> About the pax-logging with the war I have to see into this, but this sounds like a good,
idea.
> Even though I'm unsure if the war contains log4j jars how would the application be able
to log out to a file since the initial logging is configured through the pax-logging. Wouldn't
it end up with a class cast exception because of different class loaders? I think I saw something
like this a couple of weeks ago :)