karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Packages exported by the system bundle
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:28:30 GMT

On Jul 8, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> This is related to KARAF-13 but i'd like to gather feedback and come
> up with a consensus.
>
> Until now, the approach for packages exported by the system bundle was
> to use a lower denominator from JDK 1.5 with a slight change for the
> javax.transaction package to make sure it works on JEE.   The rational
> was that users could deploy additional bundles to get the desired
> features (such as stax, jaxws etc...).
>
> Now, from a pure usability pov, it sounds natural that a user can use
> the full JRE.
>
> So I wonder if we should change the default behavior to export all the
> JRE packages, and let downstream embedders (ServiceMix, Geronimo and
> other projects) tweak the settings to suit their needs.
>
> Thoughts ?

I think that enough users may want upgraded versions of the specs included in java 1.6 that
it would be better not to expose the copies in the jdk by default.  This might be driven by
geronimo :-)
I guess I think its easier to add in something that's hidden that try to figure out why, when
you include one spec version explicitly, you get another.

If the java spec version <> osgi package version debate ever progresses this might become
moot as we would expose what's in the jdk at  a known version level.

Is there any way to use flags or configuration or something so you can say, for base java
1.6, "i want annotation 1.0" (and no other built-in obsolete specs).

thanks
david jencks