kafka-users mailing list archives

From Javier Holguera <javier.holgu...@zopa.com>
Subject Kafka Streams - max.poll.interval.ms defaults to Integer.MAX_VALUE
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2017 15:14:05 GMT
Hi,

According to the documentation, "max.poll.interval.ms" defaults to Integer.MAX_VALUE for Kafka
Streams since 0.10.2.1.

Considering that the "max.poll.interval.ms" is:

  1.  A "processing timeout" to control an upper limit for processing a batch of records AND
  2.  The rebalance timeout that the client will communicate to the broker, according to KIP-62

How do Kafka Streams application detect slow consumers that are taking too long to process
a batch of messages? What replaces the existing mechanism with a smaller "max.poll.interval.ms"
where the application will willingly abandon the consumer group when the timeout expires?

>From the broker perspective, what does it mean that the application communicates a "rebalance
timeout" of Integer.MAX_VALUE? I can imagine it will not wait for that long in a rebalance.
What happens then?

Thanks.