kafka-users mailing list archives

From Jun Rao <jun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException Buffer.limit on FetchResponse.scala + 33
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 18:23:35 GMT
If a broker is the leader of multiple partitions of a topic, the high level
consumer will fetch all those partitions in a single fetch request. Then
the aggregate of the fetched data from multiple partitions could be more
than 2GB.

You can try using more consumers in the same consumer group to reduce #
partitions fetched per consumer.

Thanks,

Jun

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <
gerritjvv@gmail.com> wrote:

> no I can't :(,  I upped it because some of the messages can be big. The
> question still remains that 600mb is far from the 2gig int limit, is there
> any reason why 600mb max size would cause the fecth buffer to overflow?
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Jun Rao <junrao@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Could you reduce the max message size? Do you really expect to have a
> > single message of 600MB? After that, you can reduce the fetch size.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jun
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <
> > gerritjvv@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There is a particular topic that has allot of data in each message,
> there
> > > is nothing I can do about it.
> > > Because I have so much data I try to split the data over 8-12
> partitions,
> > > if I reduce the partitions I won't have enough consumers to consume the
> > > data in time.

> > > there
> > You
> > > partitions.