kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Yu, Libo " <libo...@citi.com>
Subject RE: failover strategy
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:50:32 GMT
The first method may lose message if cluster A is permanently down or cannot
restart right away as B always lags behind A. Even with mirroring, B has to wait
to get missing msg until A is back. So it is not ideal. What type of solution did
you use at linkedin?

Regards,

Libo

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Koshy [mailto:jjkoshy.w@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:59 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: failover strategy

The second method (replication across DCs) is not recommended.
The first set up would work provided the set of topics you are mirroring from A->B is disjoint
from the set of topics you are mirroring from B->A (i.e., to avoid a mirroring loop).

Joel

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Yu, Libo <libo.yu@citi.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can think of two failover strategies. I am not sure which one is the right way to go.
>
> First method. set up kafka server A on cluster 1 and set up another server B on cluster
2.
> The two clusters are in different data centers. Use customized
> mirrormaker to sync between the two servers. Use one server in
> production and use the other one as contingency. If server A is down, server B will be
used (this can be transparent to publishers/consumers).
> There may be a lag between the two servers before server A is down .
> But after A is back, the customized mirrormaker can sync the two. And
> eventually B will have all the data A had before the failure.
>
> Second method. Set up one kafka server using cluster 1 and cluster 2.
> When creating a topic , always use two replications. For each
> partition, assign one replication to a broker in cluster 1 and assign
> the other replication to a broker in cluster 2. So kafka will handle the syncing and
failover for the two clusters. Is that a right (expected) way to use kafka?