kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Sybrandy, Casey" <Casey.Sybra...@Six3Systems.com>
Subject Binary Data and Kafka
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 12:57:25 GMT
All,

Does the Kafka broker Base64 encode the messages?  We are sending binary data to the brokers
and I looked at the logs to confirm that they data was being stored, however all of the data,
with a few exceptions, looks to be Base64 encoded.  I didn't expect this, so I wanted to ask
and confirm what I'm seeing.

If this is true, does this affect the size of the message when fetching?  In other words,
if I send a 100K message, do I have to make sure I can fetch a 300K message since the message
can now be 300K in size because of the encoding?

Casey Sybrandy MSWE
Six3Systems
Cyber and Enterprise Systems Group
www.six3systems.com