kafka-users mailing list archives

From David Arthur <mum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: pushing delete topic feature out of 0.8
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 19:52:11 GMT
Since you need to learn about the leader for a topic in order to do
anything, you kind of already have "auto-create" since getting metadata
for a topic will create it if it doesn't exist.

As for auto-delete, log files will be deleted over time (per the usual
policy). There will be residual stuff in ZooKeeper, but I don't think it
will be detrimental to performance (does the broker keep any active
state for a topic that's not being used? - not sure)

Not to say topic deletion isn't a useful feature, but I think punting
out of 0.8 is fine.

-David