kafka-users mailing list archives

From Bob Jervis <bjer...@visibletechnologies.com>
Subject Changing replication factors in 0.8.
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:32:49 GMT
In testing our 0.8 cluster, we started by just using the sample server.properties file that
ships with 0.8 and tweaking it.  The replication factor property did not have an exemplar
in the file, so we didn't include it.  Naturally, the cluster did not do replication.

After sending some data through the tests, we then added replication factor=2 to the config
and restarted the cluster.  After a half-hour it did not appear to replicate the topic data
we had generated during the first test.  We had to erase the topics entirely and start from
scratch.  Replication then happened and when we took down a broker we saw the gaps in the
topic data get filled in after restarting it.

In the future, what is the correct way to get a Kafka cluster to change the replication factor
on an existing topic?  Will we have to flush all data from the cluster for a given topic,
or is there a recommended way to convert existing data?

Bob Jervis | Senior Architect

[cid:image001.png@01CE083A.C1C14FC0]<http://www.visibletechnologies.com/>
Seattle | Boston | New York | London
Phone: 425.957.6075 | Fax: 781.404.5711